Study day: Modern Scottish Women: Gallery of Modern Art 2: Edinburgh

image

Woman with Bird, Hannah Frank, cast 1955

MODERN SCOTISH WOMEN

Gallery of Modern Art 2: Edinburgh: 22/11/15

Continue reading Study day: Modern Scottish Women: Gallery of Modern Art 2: Edinburgh

Advertisements
still life Monoprint painted directly onto glasss
still life Monoprint painted directly onto glasss

A series of still life Monoprints were created using acrylic paint and medium to create ink. This process slowed down the time available for painting the image directly onto the glass and eventually I started working with block printing colour which seemed to give more handling time. As I worked through the printing process it became clear that I Was  not applying the paint thickly enough to define the image and the background. Subsequent prints were created using more ink, leading to a better result.

Still life Monoprints ghost print
Still life Monoprints ghost print

Project 1 Simple monoprints

image

 

First attempt at painting directly onto the glass plate using acrylic with added printing medium . A bit chaotic adding in the medium to the inks without everything drying out. Needed to add more paint and a bit of water to the mix. Liked the strong colours obtained in the first print but the shadows looked strange. Think more planning is needed to make the image more credible but like the nice loose feel of the print and the colours.
Set up a second plate and added a flower to the still life for this print and more colours. Applied the background colour with a flat palette knife and blended with a brush to shorten the time to apply the paint. This worked well and I managed to take a ghost print from the same plate

Part 1: Project 1 :Painted Monoprints from Life

Starting to get to grips with painting directly on glass. Working with block printing inks and acrylic with added medium. Am finding the process of adding medium is slowing me down and the inks are drying out by the time I’m ready to print!

Prints taken in A4 and A3 sizes. Initially I did not pay enough attention to ensuring the main objects were painted in strong colour. Background also needed to be strongly painted or it appeared too weak in the print.

OCA Coursework : Project 1: Monoprints: experiments using brushes and 3 colours

This is my first effort at Monoprints using paintbrushes and limited to 3 colours.
The first print on newsprint was too faint as not enough ink had been used. Better results using more printing inks. I was able to take a ghost print using this approach. There was good reproduction but I forgot to add inks to the edges. For the 3rd print, I added ink again over the ghost print. The edges ŵere well defined but the centre was too pale.

Mark making experiments print 1
Mark making experiments print 1
Print series 1
Print series 1

image