For this project I have explored some contrasting ways of devloping the migration theme. Part 1 builds directly on the images and prints carried out for a project 13.
Part 2 uses the mask prints from earlier work as a vehicle to explore further the use of chine colle.
In Part 3 I have taken an abstract experimental approach devloping a number of collage prints which use migration as the theme but explore how this can be expressed using abstract elements.
I selected Design 2 of the linoprints prepared for projects 13 and 14 for the addition of chine colle elements to the prints.
A number of approaches were taken:
- the addition of a sheet of coloured tissue paper the same size as the lino over Bread and Butter paper to add colour where the white of the paper would have been.
- the addition of printed collage paper to a combination monoprint/lino print
- the addition of tissue paper collage to a print
Tissue paper collage using preprinted paper over two different variations of Design 2 combination Mono print/linoprint
Part 2 Experiments with collage and chine colle
I experimented with adding a tissue paper to small mask linoprints made earlier in the course. Initially I wanted to link this to the theme of migration, with masks representing sureveillance and duplicity. However, after printing I did not think this is working well in the context of my theme. It did provide a valuable opportunity to experiment with the techniques of chine colle and to strengthen my confidence in using the method.
This series allowed me to experiment with variations in both texture and colour. I liked the range of colour possibilities achieved but experienced problems with the Caligo Safewash inks drying on my prints.
Some of these prints are displayed below.
For Part 3 I wanted to devlop an abstract approach the topic of migration, experimenting with the possibilities using a collage -based approach. I took as my starting point some of the shapes found in little collage blocks constructed earlier in course. These were inspired by a visit to the transport museum, devloped from industrial components used in shipbuilding. I thought this was very fitting as much migration in recent times has taken place in boats. I simplified the elements into simple line shapes and devloped some simple lino prints using these. these were printed up in a number of different colours and formats. I experimented with printing over tissue, adding tissue over prints and adhering light papers to heavier ones.
The devlopment process is shown below:
Collage blocks which were used to develop linoprint series
Line based linoprints devloped from abstract collage blocks above.
I then experimented with these shapes using tissue and linoprint to create a number of collages. I incorporated bird and fish elements to the work to represent the idea of taking flight/ migration. I experimented with placement of the linoprints to suggest elements such as figures (central collage above), and boats.
Small experimental collages used to devlop the final collage (below).
Final collage: “Leaving”: mixed media