The subject matter for this project was inspired by some diagrams drawn by my dad demonstrating the effect of momentum on collisions. I found this after his recent death and wanted to explore how I could incorporate them into a visual arts project.
I explored a number of ways of using the spherical imaged within the context of a print, exploring a number of different compositions within my sketchbook. A number of colour options were also explored. Initially I was keen to create strong visual impact by using strongly contrasting colours. As the project progressed, I used more subdued colours which seemed to work well for the subject material.
Figure 1: Inspiration for abstract print with back drawn symbols
Figure 2: masked and textured monoprints from momentum studies
For the initial print, the plate was inked up using violet, with pre-prepared masks cut in 3 different sizes used to protect the circular areas. The negative mask was later used to enable printing with yellow. The White of the paper was allowed to show around the middle circle. The next print was made using the ghost print, varying the colours used on the circles and applying direction arrows using back drawing and black ink. I also experimented with inking over the masks directly. Texture was created I a purple inked plate using bubble wrap imprinted onto the plate directly. Circles were then added using black ink and backdrawing.
Finally a collage was created using the resulting masks and left over rollers ink.
I felt that the initial yellow and purple print was the most successful of the batch of prints, having the greatest colour impact. However, I liked the collage which brought together all of the colours I had used. I think the project was moderately successful but would definitely have benefitted from more careful planning and more experimentation before reaching a final print.