Masked Monoprints using 2 colours:
The biggest challenge with this exercise was definitely achieving accurate registration.
After a few failed attempts to registder properly, where the orientation of the positive mask was the biggest problem I tried to work out a method whih allowed me to line up the masks consistently on the paper before printing.
To get to grips with registering the prints, I realised that it was important to make markings which identified the vertical and horizontal axes of the plate and the masks, both positive and negative. First, I marked out the outline of the intended paper using an additional sheet which would be placed beneath the printing plate. The plate itself was outlined in pencil on this sheet.
Vertical and horizontal references were made across the assembled positive and negative masks so that they could be reassembled accurately later.
A few further mistakes later, I realised that I had to add a reminder showing the top and bottom of the plate and printing paper to avoid printing upside down which happened on 2 occasions!
Stretching of the negative mask led to misalignment of the prints. I think the problem was complicated by the fact that the image extended to the edges of the paper. A simpler design might have been easier to begin with. An acetate stencil might have proved more effective and survived multiple printing efforts.
Shere Khan: Masked monoprint with colours reversed
Shere Khan: Ghost print
Shere Khan: masked monoprint using 2 colours – final print upside down